Aug 12, 2010

Recycled Image, Remembered Ache

Image and "truism" by the conceptual artist Jenny Holzer.

Holzer also has a "truism" which says that the future is stupid.  That one, I don't like.  Notice I've been putting truism in quotes in reference to Holzer.  Visualize that I'm also doing air quotes with my fingers in between typing.

But this phrase, I like.  Holzer, I dig this one (which is why I searched for the image again online).  Yet the presentation itself is impersonal, don't you think?  To project the words a story high on a building just makes me feel lonelier.  It's like screaming for contact with someone, but all you've got is concrete and glass.  Not even a voice to soothe that need--just eerie blue light on something lifeless.

Maybe that's Holzer's point:  we're looking for human contact in decidedly all the wrong places.

No comments:

Post a Comment